Hello everyone from week three of the Whole Living 28 Day Action Plan. This week it is all about the grain – adding it back in. I tried a little taste last night and after this long without, it tasted almost like ice cream. I’m doing good in the craving department, although I may knife you for pizza. Cameron was playing around with his Pizza at grandmas this weekend and tried to feed some to me. It took everything I had to not bite his precious little toddler hand off. Luckily he is cute.
I may not be able to have cheese quite yet, but I am excited to have a burger – a loaded Quinoa Veggie burger that is. I found an amazing new site called Can You Stay For Dinner who posted this recipe below. I tried it on Sunday as an alternative to my MIL’s amazing home cooking. It wasn’t breaded pork chops but it will have to do for now!
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small pot, bring ¾ cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse carrot and onion until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, garlic, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, salt, and pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.
- Form mixture into four patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned, about 8 minutes per side.
- Serve with Guacamole and Salsa
- serves 4