So when we last left off we had a clean slate. Nothing like anxiety huh! We knew what we wanted, but even though my husband’s family owned a hardware store, even he was a bit afraid at tackling a build in. We visited Home Depot so many times trying to adapt Ana White’s pattern for Drawer Bases…thinking it would look something like this without the drawers.
The problem, we couldn’t commit. We had never done this before and the thought of doing this with a busy toddler running around yelling outlines from Handy Manny wasn’t an appealing way to spend a Saturday. We thought there had to be a better way….enter Ikea.
We jumped online and found that there was a book shelf from the Expedit series that would be all but 6 inches on either side of what we need. The problem, the closest Ikea is in Chicago – two hours away. By some act of God, the husband was game to jump in the car for a leisurely family drive to Ikea. The whole way we kept telling ourselves it wouldn’t be that busy…ha!
So only one melt down and new train set (for Cameron) and our shelf in toe, we were ready to head back north to tackle “construction.”
That was the easy part with our little helper, who, just the day before has re-watched his favorite Handy Manny episode – the one with the song all about Power Tools. We gave him his own electric screwdriver and he was off and running “helping” us but the shelf together.
Here is where we stand right now…closet installed…
We are thinking about building it onto a platform…still TBD. Next up – a little visual interest. Remember – here is our plan:
So, here are the steps we have determined for this project:
- Paint the walls and ceiling – Done! Thanks Hubby..
- Take out base boards – Done!
- Build the base shelf and platform - Shelf done – platform TBD!
- Paint some awesome pattern on the back wall
- Build the hook panel on the back wall
- Build the top shelf cubbies
- Determine additional options for hang up coats
- Add cushion to top of bench in amazing fabric
- Fill with new shoes and coats (Ok, wasn’t in the original plan but I added this one!:)
Join us as we turn an average entry closet into the mudroom of our dreams!